Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 1 (Thursday, May 19th, 2011)


After arriving at Shanghai airport around midnight, we were met by our Chinese teacher from NAU, Liu Laoshi (pronounced Laoshir) and were transported to Soochow University (pictured) via van.  Thursday included our first day of class (a bit hard since it was mostly taught in Chinese) and our first views of East Campus. 
Class was followed by a lunch at a nearby restaurant, which was quite the experience.  It wasn't what we ate (boned meats, lotus root and pig's toe, to name a few) that lessened my appetite as it was the humble flavors and new textures.  Half-way through the meal and having eaten very little, I wondered if I should've listened to my grandmother and stocked up on crackers and other snacks before coming here.
This feeling was strengthened thanks to our evening meal: ill-prepared dumplings.  By now, though, I wasn't wondering about what I should've done, but how I would last a month without the Western foods I was accustomed to...

No comments:

Post a Comment